Note: I read all comments and respond to most. --- New posts every 10 to 15 days...except when life decides to get in my way by dropping a log into my pond.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Less I Too Become A Ruminant


With all the diverse political opinions thrown back and forth today for grazing, and all the multivarious social media chewing the cud, I concluded it wise to again review my purpose and goals for writing, less I too become a ruminant. 

As I thought more deeply about the direction I want to take, I recalled a post I had written nearly 2 years ago. I believe it good to bring it forward and recommit.


Of All The Things  (January 18, 2011)
 
The other day I received an email with the following quote:
Of all the things I've learned in life, I know that change is the strongest truth.
                                                    ~Janice Van Dyck

Briefly I considered the words, then immediately I wanted to change them. I thought: Change is perhaps the one constant in life, but it is not the strongest truth.

Carefully, I reread it and began to acknowledge that she was not talking about me. She was speaking of all the things she herself has learned in life.

But my thoughts grew louder within me: There is a simple principle - a law - the strongest most powerful law in the entire universe. It's the Law of Believing...all believing equals receiving and all receiving equals believing. It is a greater law than all the other laws of physics, because it transcends everyone of them.

I even began to wonder if others would read what she wrote and even...(gasp)... agree with her! At that point I finally realized I was being tempted, to not only pit the knowledge and understanding I've acquired in life against hers, but to do it in writing. And I didn't even know who she was!

Pausing, I asked myself: Do I really want to get into that kind of writing? Do I really want to start picking apart what others say - whether I think it's relevant or true or vital or not?

Without hesitation, I replied: No, I don't. Absolutely not! There's a place for commentary and opinion writing, but that's not where I want to go - not at all.

Logically, the next question is: Then where do you want to go, Kathy? The answer is simple. I have one purpose - one mission:  

I write with the belief to both inspire and challenge the human experience, welcoming criticism, for there is no person on earth who fails to intrigue me, and thereby touches my soul in some significant way.

It is not my intention to cast opinions that tend to judge the relevance or validity of what someone else may have thought or concluded. My desire and goal in writing would be defeated if I wrote in a framework that might tear down the very place another has reached by scaling their own mountain(s). Honestly, how welcoming would that be?

Totally unaware, Janice Van Dyck has touched my soul in a significant way. She has pushed me to reconsider my purpose and to decide whether or not my mission is still real to me - still where I choose to be. And - of all the things I've learned in life - she has inspired me to write of judgments and comparisons that we, at times unknowingly, superimpose on one another.

Although we've never met, please allow me to say, "Thank you, Janice."
 ~~~~~~~~

Okay, you caught me. Yes, I actually brought out an older post to be re-chewed...much like the cud. So, I admit it...perhaps I am part ruminant after all.     ;~)

  

3 comments:

monica devne said...

I have come away from your post with serious food for thought. I too, have been questioning where i want to go with my writing, my artwork, my life. And I decided I would bare my soul, no matter what. No matter what. Plow through the fear & show the uncomfortable stuff. Get gritty. It's not all about everything beautiful, though I've in the past, been afraid to break through.
I admire your thought process...

Unknown said...

Monica~ Thank you for taking the time to leave an imprint when stopping by...that means a lot to me. Having lived in Alaska for 2 years, I must admit, I feel an affinity with you and BETWEEN TWO RIVERS :~)

Christa said...

Just like that quote - and just like your thought process in response to that quote - many quotes, sayings, cliches, etc. are food for thought - which causes the mind to run and run and run, and sometimes it runs on a hamster wheel, where there really isn't much of a conclusion - it just keeps going in circles.

Oh how fun it can be to be philosophical and to have an analytical mind...
:-)