Note: I read all comments and respond to most. --- New posts every 10 to 15 days...except when life decides to get in my way by dropping a log into my pond.

Monday, April 4, 2011

"C" is for a Cup of Morning Passion

Normally I'm not a very nostalgic person, but I must admit at times I fondly reminisce of the numerous 24-Hr restaurants I frequented throughout the 70's, 80's and even the 90's. They were the gathering places of that day and time, for everything from Bible studying and letter writing, to after-game or after-movie hangouts.

My friends all knew where they could find me mulling over a journal or trying to pen a compelling personal essay or poem. Often writing late into the night, I would easily consume nearly 2 pots of what was usually a special blend of Farmer Brothers Coffee -- black with sugar. I wasn't critical of the coffee...much anyway...as long as the restaurant was clean and the service great.

When my husband and I first dated, many wonderfully romantic and often deeply inspiring late night conversations took place in one of those very relaxing enclaves called a booth. We would sit across from one another, holding hands and milking the moment as we got lost in each other's heart-melting gaze. Me with my coffee...he with his Pepsi.

For one of our wedding anniversaries we decided to stay in a historical, downtown Seattle hotel, only 3 blocks away from the Pike Place Market and home to the first Starbucks. You see, I always thought lattes and cappuccinos were going to go away. HA! No matter, neither of us gave in to the craze (then anyway). Instead, we simply enjoyed the surprisingly yummy complimentary coffee in our room.

It was the most delectable full-bodied coffee I had ever tasted! Yet, low in acid -- because it's slow-roasted -- which made it stomach-friendly! This meant a lot to me, since I had found it more and more difficult to sit in one of those old-time coffee shops imbibing cup after cup of Farmers Brothers, or Kona, or any other masterful blend.

So, who is this amazing gourmet coffee company, based in Seattle, who wasn't afraid to stand up to Starbucks, you ask? (I knew you'd want to know.) Well, it's Caffe Appassionato!

"It was no accident that we named our company after Beethoven’s sonata, 'Appassionata,' a piece of music written against all odds by an eighteenth century composer who could not hear a note he wrote...

"Like Beethoven, we felt passionate about our work. And like the 'Appassionata,' the coffee we sought had to surround the senses while captivating the spirit."

Now I no longer need to venture out to locate that perfect spot to write, enduring whatever "black gold" might be on the menu that day. I am quite content remaining in our humble home, sipping on a perfectly roasted and freshly brewed cup of Morning Passion...a perfect cup of coffee for a perfect ending :~)

6 comments:

Samantha Sotto said...

Wow! Your coffee sounds like more that just a drink - it's an EXPERIENCE. Yum! :)

Unknown said...

Sam ~
Boy! Did you nail it! It was so good for my heart to read your comment. Thanks!!

Kathy

Cricket McRae said...

I love Caffe Appassionato. Used to get it in my neighborhood grocery store when I lived in Seattle. Lovely post!

Unknown said...

Cricket ~
Thank you so much! Nice to hear someone knows what I speak of :~) I still have it shipped to me every month.

Cathy said...

Ahhh, a cup of Appassionata, who can resist...

Unknown said...

Cathy ~
Perhaps you should send for a pkg if you've never tried it...true gourmet :~)