Note: I read all comments and respond to most. --- New posts every 10 to 15 days...except when life decides to get in my way by dropping a log into my pond.

Monday, April 25, 2011

"U" is for Us

One of the musical groups I often heard on the radio, back in my high school days, was Herman's Hermits. I can even remember the songs they recorded that I didn't especially care for. (God forbid, I don't know how that's even possible, but I do.) 

One of their songs I liked okay -- written by Les Reed and Geoff Stephens -- was the last of their career to make it into the Top 10: There's a Kind of Hush. 

The line that always seemed to stick in my mind was, "Just the two of us and nobody else in sight." Us is sort of like braids and beads -- they're meant to go together.  

Another song that made it into the Top 10 that year, written and performed by The Turtles, and becoming the launch pad to their success, was Happy Together. Enduring the test of time, it became our song -- my husband's and mine. 
Ben Javens, Illustrator


Our favorite verse, including the chorus:

Me and you and you and me
No matter how they toss the dice, it has to be
The only one for me is you, and you for me
So happy together 

I can't see me lovin' nobody but you
For all my life
When you're with me, baby the skies'll be blue
For all my life 

Neither of us enjoys watching Hollywood love stories though -- with the exception of an occasional romantic comedy. A bit strange? We simply feel we'll end up disappointed, because every time we've tried one, the film industry has seemed to come up short of -- us.

This year will mark our 25th Anniversary. It's rather exciting to think about! And, I have to admit, I'm almost narcissistic about this one, because it's all about -- us :~)

4 comments:

Jeff Beesler said...

Happy 25th anniversary! You certainly picked a good choice for the letter U. And I didn't recognize the lyrics to that song until I got to the line, so happy together. Then it clicked for me.

It's a pleasure to meet you via the A-Z Challenge.

nutschell said...

a happy anniversary to you both! celebrate each milestone. :) i love the song "happy together" as well.
Great meeting you through the A-Z!

nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Bish Denham said...

Herman's Hermits...The Turtles...now don't they bring back some memories.
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

Unknown said...

Jeffrey ~ Nutschell ~ Bish
Yeah...good memories are sure nice to visit - huh:~)

Thanks for the anniversary greetings, and glad you could all stop by!

Enjoyed your comments!

Kathy